Guardianship Lawyer in Humble, TX

For guardianship lawyers you can count on, reach out to the law offices of Spurlock & Associates, P.C.

The Texas judicial system can be complex, especially for those trying to navigate a guardianship case. If that is you, don’t hesitate to consult Spurlock & Associates, P.C. Our experienced guardianship lawyers in Humble, TX, can guide you through the legal process, helping you proceed with confidence and peace of mind.

What Is a Guardianship, and Who May Be a Guardian?

Guardianship Lawyer Humble, TXGuardianship refers to someone who makes personal, financial, and medical decisions on behalf of another individual. The one making these decisions is the legal guardian. The one receiving the guardianship is known as the ward.

When you think of a legal guardian, you probably picture an adult functioning like a parent for a minor. Wards are typically children, but they could also be incapacitated persons unable to care for themselves. Common examples of wards include the following:

  • An aging adult with a severe mental disorder like Alzheimer’s disease
  • A middle-aged individual with a severe physical disability
  • A child not yet old enough to make appropriate personal, medical, and financial decisions

Not everyone can hold guardianship. A probate court will usually appoint a legal adult relationally close to the ward who has a good reputation and demonstrates that they can care for them adequately.

Types of Legal Guardianship Explained

Legal guardianship cases may take various forms. Our guardianship lawyers have seen it all and know how to approach your case with your best interests in mind.

The four types of guardianship in Texas include the following:

  • Guardian of the Person

    In this type of guardianship, the legal guardian may have the authority to place the ward in a nursing home, consent to specific medical treatment, and decide the ward's living arrangements. The level of authority may be full or limited, depending on the court ruling.

  • Guardian of the Estate

    This type of guardianship involves the legal guardian managing the ward's estate. The guardian of the estate may have the authority to pay bills, sign contracts, file lawsuits, and buy or sell property on the ward's behalf. Again, the level of authority may be full or limited.

  • Guardian of the Person and the Estate

    In cases in which the guardian needs authority over healthcare and financial decisions, they can apply for guardianship of the person and the estate rather than completing two guardianship applications.

  • Temporary Guardianship

    Establishing a permanent guardian of a person or estate can take time. In emergencies, the court may appoint temporary guardianship until a permanent guardian is available.

  • Properly Handle Outstanding Debts, Bills, and Taxes

    Taking care of the deceased’s financial matters can be tricky, but a probate lawyer can help you make all of the necessary payments without error.

    Having an experienced attorney at the helm can prevent you from over- or underpaying.

Why Hire a Guardianship Lawyer?

If you need to establish guardianship for a minor or aging loved one, consider hiring a guardianship attorney in Humble, TX. A reliable guardianship lawyer can help you in many ways, including the following:

  • Preparing the petition for guardianship: Before filing for guardianship, you must submit a petition. Our legal team will assist with preparing the initial petition and represent you in court.
  • Compiling records and evidence: Collecting required documents and organizing evidence for your case is no small task. Our lawyers can help you gather witness testimonies, medical records, contact information, asset reports, and more.
  • Advising on guardianship laws: At Spurlock & Associates, P.C., our attorneys understand guardianship laws inside and out and can share that knowledge with you.
  • Reviewing legal options: Establishing guardianship is a significant decision, and you may have better options. If so, our guardianship attorneys will help you review your options.

Areas of Probate


Complete the form below and we will contact you to determine the best way to assist you with your needs.

Speak With an Experienced Guardianship Lawyer Today

Spurlock & Associates, P.C. has helped hundreds of clients in Humble, TX, and the surrounding area succeed in court. We will stand up for your rights and leave no stone unturned.

To get representation from our trusted guardianship lawyers, call (281) 548-0900 today.